Saturday, December 2, 2006

Teaching Our Children's Souls

Since my daughter began to talk, I have been encouraging her to talk to God. As a mother who is Christian, I am very concerned with how to talk with my daughter about God without all the "church-speak" and technical religious jargon and cliches church people seem to use at times. I want my daughter to know who God is, who Jesus is, but I want her to learn in an authentic way. At the moment, she is not asking about God, but for me, I want to nurture that especially important part of who she is - her spirit and soul.

I subscribe to a weekly public radio program called "Speaking of Faith." I just finished listening to last week's program entitled "The Spirituality of Parenting." The general question being posed is "How do we cultivate spiritual awareness in our family's everyday life?" I found the program to be very useful, and if you are concerned about the same types of issues, I highly recommend it. You can listen to the audio program anytime directly from their website. Just click on the link above, "Teaching Our Children's Souls," which will take you directly to the webpage. Or you can go to the main page of "Speaking of Faith" at http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/.

Helping my daughter develop her language skills and fine motor skills are very important. But for my husband and me, helping her develop a sense of the God in her is even more important. Because in my mind, intellect and talent can get you only so far...

No comments: