Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mistakes ARE Opportunities!

As most of you can see, I am new to blogging, so I do a lot of research on the subject. One of my favorite blogging sites is Pro Blogger by Darren Rowse. I was reading his “18 Lessons I’ve Learnt about Blogging,” in which he stated,

“Learn to see mistakes as opportunities.”

This statement resonates with me, since I make mistakes often. However, I am learning to really take that piece of advice to heart. Seriously.

As a teacher, I do really well with making mistakes. Not in the sense that I’m a bad teacher (not that I’m bragging or anything; I just really enjoy what I do). I try to stay abreast of my subject matter (biblical studies) and gauge what’s appropriate for high school students to learn. I try to discover better ways of delivering content in an engaging way. Nevertheless, it is necessary for me to help my students understand that in order to learn something, I can’t spoon feed them. I want my students to ask questions – questions that may make them feel uncomfortable at times – so I try to teach in a way that encourages students to really think.

In an effort to accomplish all these objectives, I experiment (mind you, I also experiment so as to not get bored with my own self, which is probably the real reason I do it). I devise new projects from year to year. I find and use different handouts that might suit my purposes. I try to find better textbooks to use (which can be difficult when trying to find a good biblical studies textbook for high school students). I try different assessment (test-taking/giving) techniques. Sometimes I will try a different type of project, and it will work very well. Sometimes the projects I assign bomb. They may actually end up in a stink-pile. I MAKE MISTAKES! OFTEN! But my philosophy on it is this: if I don’t try, I’ll never know if it’s valuable or not for my students. And if it does bomb, my students, if no one else, will forgive me.

As a wife, I do quite well in the mistake-making business. In other words, I make many, and as a result, I often feel inadequate as a wife. But I’m starting to understand that while I may not agree with what my spouse does or says, I have to stop making the same mistake of “I have to show him I’m right and he’s wrong.” And that takes a lot of effort (and humility), especially in the heat of the moment.

Am I saying that it’s necessary to be a doormat? Not by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do believe that it’s necessary to pick your battles. If I determine the battle is not worth it, then in my mind I have to tell myself, “K-Wiz, get over it. Suck it up. You may not agree with what just happened, or what led up to the incident, or what he said, or what he did, but your marriage relationship is more important and has more value than being right.” Unfortunately, it sometimes takes me awhile to tell myself that very thing. Nevertheless, I found some encouragement in this from Momentum Performance Development in an article entitled “Are You A Right-Fighter?” The author of the article states,
“If you have found that you may have some qualities of a right- fighter, don't start beating yourself up, begin working on it! You are a wonderful and lovable person with far more positive qualities than negative... this is certain! This habit does NOT have to define you. You are capable of releasing this habit at any time (please seek help if you need it, a partner in change is always a wonderful gift to yourself and your family!). Acknowledging your habit of right-fighting and becoming aware when you are engaging in this habit is the
first, most important step in leading a more successful and happy life.”

As vulnerable as it makes me feel, I am consciously and officially acknowledging I am a “right-fighter.” In spite of this, though, I will consider myself, as the article states, “a wonderful and lovable person with far more positive qualities than negative...a wonderful gift” to myself and my family. It’s a great article. Read it. You have the opportunity, no matter what has happened, to consider yourself a great and wonderful gift to you and your loved ones.

No comments: